Sunday, November 4, 2012

Benne Wafers

 One of the many things that the Gullah/Geechee brought over with them from Africa was the benne seed, more commonly know as the sesame seed. Using this seed, slaves would often make a thin cookie called the benne wafer. The Gullah/Geechee people believe eating benne wafers bring good luck.

Recipe:  
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter 
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/4 teaspoon baking powder


Directions:
Cream butter and sugar together. Then mix with other ingredients in the order given above. Drop with a teaspoon onto a well-greased cookie pan, far enough apart to allow spreading while baking. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 7-10 minutes
 


-SB

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this but I am going to ask my mom about these cookies tonight.

    I even have all the ingredients in my pantry I may try to make a batch for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide to make them, please come back and tell us how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete