Monday, October 29, 2012

What in ee pot?

                                                         

                                       RED RICE in ee pot!

Who knew adding tomato paste to white rice a lil bacon and link sausage oh and occasionally shrump (you fancy huh?) would turn into such a delicious meal? I'll tell you who knew...geechee people knew!!! Stand up (in my Ludacris voice). It's funny when I explain it here in Cali they sum it up to Spanish rice. Well no disrespect to my Spanish brothers and sisters but uhhhhhh I ain neva tasted Spanish rice like disya. Oh and did I mention the steamer we have been known to swear by from the ace hardware sto'. Don't worry we'll pick that back up later.

Anyhoo, I can remember my granny Florence closing the kitchen door (yessss the original chasstun homes had doors to their kitchens) I would peek in and see that steamer going and that cast iron frying up that fush and she would shro in some string beans. Boi ya tawkin bout gud? Dasum gud eatin richea. All the seasonings blend together sooooo gud. Fortunately I come from a family where dey wus all great cooks! I guess you had to be because eat out food was not lunch or dinner it was a treat. Something you got every now & again. Like getting out of Ebenezer AME mid week church service late (because I stayed up in church) so you got church's chicken to go with ya leftovers. Oh shux where was I...that's right red rice! Anyway chile, that's still a staple in my household. Even tho' I never think it taste as gud as my elders and mi fush never fry up right but it mainly comes from mi heart...yassssssum the heart of a geechee gal

*there is a slight difference between me & mi elders. I exercise 30min a day as often as possible, no less than 3-4 days a week. Famous words of Trina Braxton "Keep it cute or put it on mute"

Story by, PT

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE red rice! Red rice and spanish rice are not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure aren't!!! Folks will run you down trying to tell you that they are the same.

      Delete
  2. Y'all knoh ee truh! Deez heah Cali folks crack me up! Then when I bring em to tha potlucks then runnin me down askin for ee recipe...I roll my eye and suck mi teet

    ReplyDelete