Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tracing our orgins


I use to hear stories about the Bermuda triangle growing up and wondered why my grandmother would always talk about Bermuda. As I got older I discovered that some of our ancestors may have come from there. Bermuda is a British overseas territory in the North Atlantic Ocean located off the East Coast of the United States. It is said that our ancestors were taken from Bermuda and brought the United States as slaves and that's where part of our accent comes from. In the seventy-five years from the beginning of the 18th century to the declaration of independence, more than forty percent of the Africans arriving in the British North Americans Colonies were quarantined and processed in coastal islands off Georgia and South Carolina.We were brought here with our ancestry in tack with our traditions and story telling ways. Researching our history starts with us tracing our history and knowing who our ancestors were and how did we end up on the coast lines of South Carolina. A great place to start our research would be Ancestry.com   and to talk to some of the older people in your family. Knowing where we come from is important so that we can answer questions like where did we develop our accent, why do we love rice so much, why are we so strong and different than regular African Americans. 

Image


I started researching my history a couple of years ago but I got stuck in the early 1900's. I guess with no records being kept it was hard to trace where we come from. For my family I know that my great great grandmother was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania she never came down south nor was she born a slave now her mother was but escaped north before she was born. When I did my research it seems that my great great great grandmother was a slave and she originally came from the Bermudas. Now was she originally brought here on the slave ships I have no idea but I do know that she was of Bermuda origins. I know her first name but don't know her last and can't find any records beyond what I know. Most of my info came from my grandmother before she passed. As a young girl she would tell me stories but when she got older she got Alzheimer's so the stories and history stopped. 

Now my grandfather I was able to trace him a few years back pretty good and discovered his father was an Indian. Now I know most of us have family that say they are part Indian and I do give the side eye but my great grandfather was a true indian and married a black women and they had my grandfather. I thought that was interesting considering my grandfather did have that good hair lol. 

 Have you traced your history as of yet? Do you know where your family came from?

2 comments:

  1. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You've done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.
    My site > "how to write" lewis philips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog
    that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    My web page > digestive enzymes bloating

    ReplyDelete