Sunday, December 30, 2012

What's that you say about the 'Old Slave Mart'


When I was a kid I always tripped out when granny and I would ride by the old slave mart.  She would always get a little more silent when riding by.  She would always patiently answer my many questions.  "Granny did they slaves live there?, Where are the slaves now, Did you know the slaves, Why didn't they just run, Why were white people so mean, Did the mommies find their babies?" And the questions continued until life, ancestor recants and education collided (not public education either).  

As a child I just couldn't grasp that ACTUALLY happened and my great greats and my great Grandma Alice who was still living at that time experienced such devastation.  My Grandma Alice would suck ee teet and say "all dishea uz a slave mart! Disya jus wun mr. Charlie dun forgot baby"  Too much for a free brown child to truly grasp.  Even more deep that there was/is a tangible substance right there. It was almost like the "mommy where is God" question and next thing you know mommy is saying "just know God is here and real" i.e. please be quiet baby and stop all the questions.  Ha!

Charleston has many remnants of slavery and the horror of the old south.  I honestly believe what we call hauntings are really our ancestors' spirits whispering to us so that we live in forward motion, but never sever our roots.  As each generation is born and raised, whether you are in Charleston, SC, Georgia, Virginia or any parts of the south and/or USA,  whether you are geechee/Gullah and/or just salt of the earth people we have to teach the younger ones how real that era was and why some of the discussions and fights continue with black folks today.  

Listen, Charleston SC and Georgia are extremely great areas to start researching slavery history.  My children are trying to understand why mommy have an accent and why I pronounce words like I do most of the time  (even though living in Ca. I've learned the Cali accent as well and shru a gud edcashun and a demanding mama I can and do speak what most consider proper English most times.  Howeva mi Gullah tongue is way more fun and comfy mi mowt).  Don't judge me. 

 Anyhoo, I challenge you in 2013, to do something to get closer to your history/roots.  Many of you have raw history just a phone call away.  All these holidays, family dinners and reunions can be the juice you need.  I guarantee you once you start asking questions, the next thing you know you are knee deep in history and on the phone or Internet with www.ancenstry.com.  Go for it my people and share your findings with people of all races!  Django shouldn't be the rut (root) of 20th & 21st century learnings for non African Americans.  It may be a great talking point but not the RUT.

That's why when I hear about Gullah land being taken by local government for less substantial money making projects lets me know that black history is STILL not valued in America.  That like our ancestors' skin, limbs and history, it can still be bought and sold without a second thought.  just a matter of "all in favor say yea or nea?"  And unfortunately because we do not vote in our local elections like we should, raise cane, write letters, get signatures etc. we fall by the wayside.  And I do mean WE.  

*Not taking away any credit from our Gullah and historian foot soldiers that are and have been in the trenches for us already.  Thank you so much, much honor and respect!*

My people, let's get these janky #%*#?! politicians out of office.  Trust when I say, they will listen and change their views once you tell them "I am not voting for you sir/ma'am because you do not have my community's best interest in mind buh bye!"   Go to city council meetings and donate to renovations of our historical buildings, libraries etc.  We need our grand and great grand babies to have resources and not pictures in a book to know the who, what, where and whys.  Especially my beloved Gullah people.

I'm linking a wonderful detailed story on the historical Slave Mart -

Pentherapee getting off her soap box and wishing you a blessed, safe, prosperous 2013!  And thank all of you for supporting  
moregeechee.blogspot.com!!!!!!  Now get them peas & rice goin

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the enlightenment. Each one, teach one.

    ReplyDelete