Sunday, October 7, 2012

Good ole Piggly Wiggly



Ok Christopher Ibsen means nothing to the average Charlestonian but he was a great point of contact when I chose to do Piggly Wiggly as our spotlight business.  Why Piggly Wiggly you might ask?  Let's think about it...who in Charleston has never been in a Piggly Wiggly?  Let me start my beloved granny Florence, my great grandma Alice, my aunts, cousins...heck the chilly bear lady, shall I continue?  You get it.  Anyway, they have been proud customers of Piggly Wiggly since forever! I know definitely til mi grandma took ee last breath she was a long standing customer of Piggly Wiggly.  Piggly Wiggly employees knew my family by name.  How nice is that!  When  I was sent to the store on meeting street they ALWAYS had what I was looking for and I never heard complaints about bad food or poor customer service unlike my favorite episode of Good Times when James & Florida Evans got mad because their entire family got sick off spoiled meat at their local supermarket uuugggghhhhh!

Christopher Ibsen was extremely helpful, kind and courteous.  He made it plain that he was very familiar with the Gullah community in Charleston.  He wanted it to be known that he has worked in concert with QUEEN QUET, (the elected princess of the Gullah nation) on different projects including Gullah festivals and local events also  Piggly Wiggly is no stranger to being one of many sponsors for Gullah's various events.  That for me speaks volumes!  It's evident that being tightly knitted in the geechee community they know what our people, their customers want and need.

I asked him what makes Piggly Wiggly a continued staple in the community because let's face it with hurricanes, city improvements/changes we have seen businesses come and then goooooo.  Mr. Ibsen said "out of 600 stores 100 of them are in Charleston alone!" That lets you know how strong their ties are to the carolina shores. Oh and by the way, they opened the 1st Charleston  store in 1947 and they have never looked back! I got the sentiment that Piggly Wiggly's staying power is a faithful, loyal customer base and Mr. Ibsen expressed appreciation for that.

Let's keep it all the way real! It's nice to have neighborhood stores with employee faces that look like us, voices that sounds like ours and where geechee cuisines and ingredients are readily available.  Furthermore I personally remember as a young adult that the stores were always clean....BONUS!

Did you know...

Saunders' reason for choosing the intriguing name Piggly Wiggly ® remains a mystery; he was curiously reluctant to explain its origin. One story is that he saw from a train window several little pigs struggling to get under a fence, and the rhyming name occurred to him then. Someone once asked him why he had chosen such an unusual name for his organization, and Saunders' reply was, "So people will ask that very question." He wanted and found a name that would be talked about and remembered. Read more about the history of piggly wiggly at pigglywiggly.com

Mr. Ibsen showed great appreciation for their community efforts being recognized on moregeechee.blogspot.com

Story by PT

2 comments:

  1. For years I used my Piggly Wiggly bonus card and never cashed it in; and then, last year I went and got about $90 worth of gas from my bonus points.

    Every time I think about that, I smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boyyyyy lookya you better speak up on that Piggly wiggly kick back! Maybe that was the gift Romney bun tawkin bout lolol!

    ReplyDelete