Sunday, October 14, 2012

Welcome to Carolima's

I had the pleasure of speaking with Sameka Jenkins about her business Carolima's. A catering company in the heart of Charleston, SC. She took the time out of her busy schedule to give us an interview about her business. If you are looking for a caterer in Charleston please visit http://www.carolimas.com/ I assure you, you will not be disappointed.
Please visit them at their location: 2931 Spruill Ave, Ste A, North Charleston. Lunch is served from 11-2, Wednesday-Friday
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Carolimas
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarolimaSC


  1. How did you come up with your name? Actually a very dear friend of mine gave me the name. After months of deliberation I wasn't coming up with anything that had the "ring" to it I was looking for and she was saving this name for someone special and that someone happened to be me.
  2. What services do you offer? Catering for large and small events as well as weekly lunch specials along with Personal Chef Service.
  3.  What makes you different from all the other catering companies? I pride myself on great food served with class and distinction. I think it's ok to serve CaroLIMA Beans at a function but it's all in the presentation.
  4. What are some of the Geechee and Gullah influences that you use in your dishes? The use of smoked meats as well as the soups are very much a part of the Gullah Culture. Smoked Neckbones and Okra Soup, Collards, etc are all a part of the Gullah culture.
  5. What is your background and how did you progress to your present position? I've earned two degrees, worked at several different occupations, but I always came back to my love of cooking - the one thing I didn't go to school for which is very ironic to me.
  6. Do you face opposition? In addition, how do you deal with them? The catering market in Charleston is very competitive so it requires a lot of perseverance. However, at the end of the day people love great food and good news travels fast.
  7.  How has your company adjusted to the down economy? We offer budget friendly specials during the week. We also use more social media to aid in our marketing because it's more cost effective.
  8.  What are some future goals for your company? We are currently sharing a commercial kitchen and I look forward to having our own kitchen so that we can be open additional hours for customers
  9. What made you want to own your own business? I want to provide my daughter with a legacy. Besides that I want to be in control of my own destiny. While working in Corporate America there were days I would literally hold my breath because I didn't know if I would have a job the next day. Now, I'm in control of my own destiny.
  10.  What's the one thing you have learned in life that has helped you in your business? Hard work pays off in the end. If you want something you just have to go after it because it's not easy. If it was, everybody would do it!

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a blog article about Carolima´s business that you can read in the following link. Can you please publish it in your blog and share it in your social network pages if you find it interested? thanks,

    http://www.msalesleads.com/search-engine-optimization-companies-help-businesses-find-their-audience/

    ReplyDelete