Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Sweeter side of Grass Baskets

Design by Sarah Hammond 2012

Design by Sarah Hammond 2012
I am so blessed to have family members that believe in the geechee tradition and they are a wealth of information.  Take my Aunt Sarah Hammond.  A Master basket weaver...baaaaaaaaby she will lay a basket design owt!  So I zeroed in on some key questions to gather information to shar

PT:  Auntie what generation basket weaver are you?

SH:  I'm 4th generation, at least that's as far back as I know, it could go farther back.

PT:  How far back did basket weaving start on the Carolina shores?

SH:  O' shoot probably something we did before we entered into slavery, but sweetgrass I'm sure as early as the 1800's.  That's how we carried rice, fish, shrump, crab etc. 

PT:  How have you carried on the tradition within your own family

SH:  Both my girls Valeria & Kanya know how to weave baskets.  Also I have gone on to teach two of my grand daughters.  One is as young as 8 years old.

PT:  WOW!  Auntie eight?  That's wonderful.  I'm proud of mi cousins.  I definitely need to get that craft under my belt as well...(sigh then laughter)

SH:  Well I'm here when you are ready to learn!

PT:  Anyway back to you.  Is this a career or just side business?

SH:  Definitely not a career for me because I need steady money and in this economy baskets don't sell like dey usda.  However, after 30 years with the school district, in my retirement the extra money is really good when you do sell and the gratification of seeing people enjoying your work and seeing the beauty in your culture is so fulfilling.

PT:  Speaking of "people", who are you finding more interested and/or appreciative of weaved baskets?

SH:  Others. And when I say "others"  I am not speaking of black folks.  "Others" see them and you get the ooooos and ahhhhhs.  They want to know more about them and more times than not purchase them.  Black people half don't want to look your way, as if we (basket weavers) are going to pressure them into buying.  So not the case.  It saddens me that they seem the least interested in our culture.

PT:  Yea that's true Auntie, because when you came to SoCal for your basket weaving convention.  I was taken aback that there were NO African Americans in sight when it came to your class.  I met Canadians, Mid Westerners, Germans etc. but nooooo African Americans.  I guess it's a case of know better do better.  Maybe MoreGeechee.blogspot.com can start to change that.

PT:  Do you know how that can change?  Especially with the younger generation.

SH:  Yes.  When your generation do what your doing now and reconnect black Americans with black culture and the culture within the culture.  Whether you are a geechee or not this is still a very intricate part of black history.

PT:  What are some of the changes you have seen through the decades?

SH:  Well, when I was younger watching my mom weave on the side of the road, people bought baskets out of necessity.  They used them for storage.  Now they are mainly used for decorations.  That tickles me.

PT:  What I found amazing Auntie, was when I asked do you tag your baskets or do something specific so you know your design?  You said that "even if two basket weavers designed the same style basket...the EXACT same, a weaver always know her work.  There is never any confusion nor a mistake.  And if someone tries to steal 'em...Then there is trouble.  We take basket weaving very serious."

SH:  And that answer ain changed.  

PT:  One thing I love about Mt. Pleasant is seeing the basket stands along the highway as I'm driving to your home.

SH:  Yes ma'am the town of Mt. Pleasant built and/or restored all the stands.  I got mine built on my land for free!  So nice of Mt. Pleasant.  That's why I love my town.

PT:  Aunt Sarah I have seen some of THE most beuatiful, detailed baskets now that I'm checking for them more.  It must take you forever to do some of your designs.

SH:  Well lets just say you definitely have to have time to do a basket.  However, you get so good at them that you can easily meet deadlines and/or demands when needed. You have some that are easy and some that are not.  Just make sure they good!

PT:  Well Aunt Sarah you have answered all my questions, what else would you like America to know about basket weaving as it relates to the Geechee culture/people?

SH: Our traditions only die if we let it.  You don't want someone else to rediscover and profit and/or hone what is your God given gifts.  Ya know it seems as though every other race of people seem to hold on and show an appreciation of their culture so much more tightly than Black/Gullah people hold on to theirs. Gullah people really need to because our spirit and history is so close to African traditions and culture that to let it just die off would be a crying shame.  We have some but I would love to see grow.

Images provided by
Sarah Hammond, Mt. Pleasant
843-813-3086 contact for baskets.

Story by, PT

2 comments:

  1. The baskets are beautiful. The work that goes into them is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete